McLean Community Center Seeks Community Service-Minded
Candidates to Run for Seats on its 2016-2017 Governing Board
Nominating Petitions Will Be Available Monday, Jan. 25
McLean, Va.—The McLean Community Center (MCC), a Fairfax County Government special agency, is seeking candidates to run for seats on its 2016-2017 Governing Board. The board provides oversight and guidance for MCC programs and facilities, which include the Robert Ames Alden Theatre (The Alden) and the Old Firehouse Teen Center. The center is located at 1234 Ingleside Ave.
To run for a seat on the 11-member board, a candidate must reside in the Center’s tax district (Small District 1A-Dranesville). To have their names placed on election ballots, candidates are required to obtain the signatures of ten McLean tax district residents in their respective categories (either adult or youth).
Three adult positions and two youth positions are open this year. The three adult candidates who receive the three highest vote counts will serve three-year terms. Youth members will serve one-year terms. Adult candidates must be at least 18 years of age as of McLean Day (May 21). Youth candidates must be 15-17 years of age as of McLean Day. One youth member will be elected from the McLean High School boundary area and one will be elected from the Langley High School boundary area. Youth candidates are not required to attend either school, but they must reside in the boundary areas served by one of the schools as defined by Fairfax County Public Schools.
Key Election Dates
• Monday, Jan. 25: Petition Packets are available.
• Friday, Mar. 25: Completed Petition Packets are due to MCC by 5 p.m.
• Monday, Apr. 11: Absentee Voting begins at MCC and the Old Firehouse Teen Center.
• Wednesday, Apr. 13: Candidates’ Orientation.
• Sunday, May 1: Meet the Candidates reception sponsored by Friends of the McLean Community Center from 2 to 4 p.m.
• Friday, May 18: Absentee Voting ends at MCC and the Old Firehouse Teen Center at 5 p.m.
• Saturday, May 21: Elections will be held at the McLean Day Festival from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information on the MCC Governing Board Elections, call the Center at 703-790-0123, TTY: 711, or write email@example.com.