Friday-Sunday, July 3– 5, July 10–12 and July 17–19
6-8 p.m. (timed entrances at 15 minute intervals)
Please Note: If inclement weather is forecasted, performances may be moved to a different time of day or a different day.
Tickets $10/$5 MCC tax district residents per vehicle --- ALL PERFORMANCES THRU JULY 12 ARE SOLD OUT. Dates have been extended.
This production of “Small Change” is dedicated to Robert Ames Alden (1933-2020).
"Drive-Thru Drama" is a social-distance theater format that brings people together for live theater from the comfort of their own cars. Actors will perform one, cohesive story through short solos—each approximately two minutes—across the MCC parking lot. Audience members will simply roll down their windows and drive the route from actor to actor.
The Alden presents the debut performance of "Small Change,” written and directed by Andrew Scott Zimmer, a new work commissioned by The Alden.
“Small Change” follows the travels of a $1 bill as it journeys through time and space, interacting with different people’s lives, and leaving its mark on the world.
A limited number of timed tickets will be available about two-weeks prior to opening day. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
Because this is a new program, information on this page may change as the planning progresses.
Safety precautions that adhere to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention and Fairfax County Health Department guidelines include:
- 1. The driving route will be drawn on the ground so that actors are a minimum of six feet away from cars and each other at all times.
2. Stop signs will be placed at appropriate viewing points and drivers must follow all applicable traffic laws.
3. Actors will be provided one face shield which they must wear to all in-person rehearsal and shows.
4. Actors will provide their own costumes, set and props so that they are the only ones touching their items.
5. All audience members should wear a mask. Those who are considered to be in a high-risk category for contracting Covid-19 should consult a doctor before purchasing tickets.
6. Front-of-house operations will be no-touch and will be conducted from a minimum of six feet away from vehicles.
7. Other precautions may be taken if recommended by the CDC or the Health Department.
Questions? Contact The Alden Youth Theatre Programs Director Danielle Van Hook at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"System Crasher (Systemsprenger)" (Germany, 2019) (NR)
Saturday, July 25, 2 p.m.
Just because we can't be together doesn't mean we can't get together. Join your friends and neighbors for a "post-viewing" virtual chat about "System Crasher," a heartbreaking story of a troubled 9-year-old stretching the limits of German social services. This is not an easy viewing, but the performance by the child actor as the protagonist makes it worth watching.
View "System Crasher" on your own—available on Netflix—then unpack it all with a group of the smartest people around (I'm looking at you, McLean) via a private Zoom meeting. Pre-registration is required. None of the usual theatre rules apply, so bring a drink and a snack.
Free. Preregistration is required.